Jan 21, 2013

On Sunday Morning.


I have obviously noticed the faith and believes that kenyans carry for JC and God. You can see a poster, a sentence, a picture, a symbol, anything that recalls to the Catholic Church everywhere. The other day, we went to Teacher Priscillah's House for a cup of tea after a full day of school, and of course the walls of her house were full of pictures and frames allusive to God and Faith.

Let me say that I don't really follow a conventional Christian principles… I don't go to church, and (I'm sorry to say this, and I don't want to offend ANYONE) sometimes I doubt of HIS existence. Or better, I believe in some kind of energy that keep us going. And by the first and second law of Thermodynamics "nothings is destroyed, only transformed" and "the entropy principle", I came to believe that is not a HE who rule us, but we ourselves have that power within us. I do not have someONE 'up there' dictating commandments so that I can become a better person. No. For me, I am a better person because I CHOSE TO BE.

But well, lets keep on topic.

Sunday morning, is the morning for going to church. I was nervous when I saw the building - a structure of metal, with chairs, benches and a table at the front for the speakers. I had the feeling for the moment I laid eyes on the chapel, though I didn't know Why nor How. (I have to admit that something/one let me know about that episode that I was about to have inside that humble chapel next to the school where Boi and Soni go to, right across the road where Esther's house is.) So, we all entered the church. There were probably 20 people then.

And they were singing.

I got goosebumps when I realized what was going on, and by the time I sat on my chair, I (kinda) felt tears on my eyes. Though I held them back, 'cause you know: I have a reputation to maintain!
Though the anxiety wasn't gone! I was still fully alert that something was about to happen. I really, really felt something.

It was then that I met Victoria. A cute little girl (that at this time I thought she was a boy - only because she was wearing pants and not a pretty little and fancy dress like all the other girls) that was playing with a friend's sunglasses, and randomly sat beside my chair. She smiled at me while the priest was giving a speech (about I don't know what, cause OH yeah, this was a Swahili session) with the sunglasses on the middle of her forehead. For sometime we just exchanged stares and smiles, until she finally asked really softly 'What's your name?'. Still with my heart beating like a train and with a immortal smile on my face, I answered and asked hers. Note that by this time, she was a boy to me. So she told me her name but I didn't get it cause of the really emotional speech that a spokes woman was giving. So after a while, I did not resisted and, again with only a smile, I gave her my sunglasses. She was really happy, and for some minutes she did not leave beside of me. Only when Boi came inside (from playing with other kids) and called her to play along, she left me. I was kinda worried that I would never lay eyes on my sunglasses again… But after a really short time she came back, 'happy as a king' (a common expression), with my sunglasses in her hand.

Still with that strange felling inside, I got the sunglasses back while a Norwegian woman gave her speech about the Lord, Politics and Faith. When Martha (that's the woman's name) sat down, again the priest took over the microphone and said:
'I have noticed other two white lades there. Can you please come up here and present yourselves, where do you come form etc?'

While he was peaking Swahili to the rest of the people clarifying that we were supposed to go up there and talk, I stared at Chelsea an Esther to really figure out if I HAD TO go there. I was freaking out, and apparently, Chelsea did not get anything from' I have noticed that' so I relied on Esther's glare. And with a hand gesture from Esther I stood up and pulled Chelsea with me. We walk to the front of the chapel and without a microphone there we were: facing 50 people filled up with faith and love, anxiously waiting to know who we were.

Smiley Victoria and her cool bike.
After a minute or two, we were both back at our seat. With our hands shaking like crazy from the adrenaline that it was standing in front of that tiny crowd and expose ourselves. After that, the feeling I had was gone, and Victoria was there with the same smile looking to me with admiration and curiosity.

These two hours at church were really intense and full with shapes and feelings that I will never forget.
Faith.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!=O
    Muito bom madrinha!
    I'll be waiting for more news! =P
    Ass:Romão

    ReplyDelete